Our approach to business is to listen and quickly to respond to the ‘voice of the customer’, especially when developing new products. We work in partnership to get involved at the early stages of a project, understand our customers’ needs and deliver the best solutions to meet them.
Our capabilities include – E-coat, structural assemblies, innovative squeezeform technologies, and composite development Find out how we can help you.
Customers increasingly demand a high quality surface finish to their products – whether it’s a chassis or wheel. Not only do they expect the product to perform as required but also for the finish to be of a high-quality, durable and resist corrosion in the harsh environments in which they operate.
The world-class automotive standard, E-Coat paint process offered by GKN Structures provides a high-quality surface finish.
Cathodic epoxy electro-coat is designed to be compatible with a both wet and powder coat paint, in addition, the excellent surface finish can allow the e-coat to be applied as a single coat where UV resistance is not required.
Used for automotive and on and off-highway applications the process has recently been adapted to also include all wheels manufactured in Telford;
- Provides a durable, high-quality finish with over 1,000 hours’ salt spray protection.
- Environmentally friendly water-based process
- Corrosion protection: the paint is bonded with the base metal product
- Electro-deposition allows coating of intricate and hard to reach parts of the product
- Better surface finish and fewer defects
- 17 tank process including pre-treatment
- Reduction in paint waste
- Highly repeatable process
- Large capacity tanks for large vehicle structures
There are a number of global trends driving technology development across the automotive industry, for example, the low-carbon and fuel efficiency agenda, electrification, urbanisation and shortages of key resources. To meet upcoming CO2 targets OEMs will need to reduce mass as well as develop powertrain solutions. Lightweight materials have to be cost competitive.
GKN Structures is at the forefront of exploring new technologies and is currently leading a cross-industry group that is investigating the cost-effective manufacture of composite materials, particularly for automotive structures. With the opportunity to produce lighter and stronger components, the development group includes original equipment manufacturers, technology companies and academic research organisations – as well as drawing on the extensive experience that exists within GKN’s aerospace business.
We are able to leverage our current business relationships with potential early market entrants. The Innovate UK project brings together a consortium to develop a UK supply chain capability utilising expertise in the areas of advanced lightweight materials, advanced manufacturing, bonding, assembly and NDT.
- Inherent national skill in composites through Aerospace and Motorsport and are investing to develop this through to credible products for high volume automotive production.
- Adoption of new process technology, requiring an efficient supply chain and lean manufacturing processes capable of meeting the customers’ needs for cost, volume and quality.
- The project will help to establish automotive composites as a high value and “sticky” technology in the UK with a high potential for exports.